As we return to classrooms and adapt to our new normal, the BC Centre for Disease Control has updated its public health guidance for K-12 settings.
These updates reflect lessons learned over the past few months to minimize the transmission of COVID-19 and maintain a safe and healthy school environment for students, families and staff.
Below you will find a summary of the most significant updates. Links to the complete document can be found at bcschools.cupe.ca. Please check the site regularly for more information and updates.
In solidarity & safety,
President, K-12 Presidents Council, Local 9876
- Updated information on public health actions required when a confirmed case(s) of COVID-19 affects a school, and information on contact tracing and managing clusters (pg. 6-7, Appendix B)
- Updated guidance on physical distancing (pg. 10)
- Updated guidance for staff or students experiencing symptoms of illness, and outlines what should be done before returning to class (pg. 15-17, Appendix C).
- New sections have been added concerning;
- Ventilation and air exchange (pg. 8)
- Water stations and fountains (pg. 18)
- Personal items and school supplies (pg. 18)
- A new Appendix D (pg. 24) provides additional guidance for school meal programs, breakfast clubs and other food access initiatives.
The guidance document has also updated the roles of Medical Health Officers and school health officers (pg. 1-4). The complete document can be found in the BCCDC website school section and linked at bcschools.cupe.ca.
Reminder: Any news media calls or inquiries regarding possible COVID-19 exposures or cases, as identified in the Operational Guidelines for K-12, should be directed to your local regional health authority. Thank you.
View PDF.COPE 491